Planning for Summer 2007, must make the notes now, while we’re harvesting! DONE
The view in December:- we have permission for next greenhouse, but have not yet ordered it. This will be used for raising seedlings and then for some of the tomatoes and groundcherries
– moved summer raspberries out of the shade
– the over-wintering onions, garlics and shallots all doing well as are the sage and the rosemary
– got loads of seeds and beans all ready for next year, the only one missing is the Caro Rich tomatoes
18th September. The die is cast. The seeds have been ordered from www.realseeds.co.uk, the surprises are carrots and lettuce for ‘she who shall be obeyed’, Blue Banana Squash, Thai Long Green Aubergine, Latah Tomato, Grushovka Tomato, Galina Tomato, De Colgar Tomato, Cherokee Trail of Tears Bean, Cupidon Bean, Lemon Drop chilli pepper, Jaune de Poitou Yellow Leek, Bleu de Solaise leek, D’Eysines Carrot, and Mascara lettuce
4th September. Must have Tomatillos again next year, they are beautiful. Purple Sprouting Broccoli now seem to have a new life after mulching, trimming and treating plus rain. Canasta lettuce getting established. 3rd September. Well an opportunity to simplify things a bit. It seems that peppers and chillies may well be able to overwinter in the greenhouse. So it’ll be a shorter list of new seeds (will try Aubergines as well) and also that I’ll set aside a permanent bed in the greenhouse for them. This means we’re really trying for early and unusual tomatoes and squashes. If I can’t get another plot, I’ll definitely ask permission for another greenhouse.
19th August make sure that all the exotics (toms, peppers, cukes) are the earliest we can get. Try to get another plot; composters OK; need another, larger polytunnel for peppers and tomatoes, over-wintering geraniums and palms etc need more space for beans, squashes, courgettes, etc etc. Another plot would give me a further ten 24′ long raised beds.
10th August. How have the ideas moved forward? From this years crops we should be able to get the seeds for some of these as there are no F1 hybrids:
– Caro Rich (save some seed) – huge
– Plum Lemon (save some seed) – prolific and tasty
– De Colgar (cj to order)
– need a cherry tomatoe ?Galina
– Grushovka (cj to order)
– Blanche Ronde de Oeuf (Ordered)
– Thai Long Green (cj to order)
– Buran (in stk) (save some seed) (Overwinter)
– Antoi Romanov Pale Yellow Pepper (cj to order)
– White Cloud (save some seed)(Overwinter)
– Orange Bell (save some seed) – looks prolific (Overwinter)
– Joes Long Cayenne Chilli (In stk) (save some seed)(Overwinter)
– Etna Chilli (save some seed) (Overwinter)
– ?Angies chillies from last year (Overwinter)
– Early Golden Hubbard (save some seed) – Superb
– Blue Banana (cj to order)
– Waltham Butternut (cj to order)
– Crystal Apple (Tortarello) (save some seed) – Superb
– Dimara Miniature White Cornichon (save some seed) – Superb
– Fin de Meaux Cornichon (Ordered)
– Melothrie (already in stk)
– Cantaloup Charentais (Ordered)
– w:st=”on”style=”font-size: 9pt;”Minnesota Midget (save some seed) lost the lot
– Zucchini (save some seed) – Superb
– Tondo di Piacenza (ordered)
Tomatillo aka Ground Cherries
– Mixed Purple & Green (In stk) (save some seed) (Superb)
– Poha (In stk) (save some seed)
We are having some wonderful foods, yes, we did well with potatoes, beans, squashes, courgettes, radishes, onions, garlic and shallots but the brassicas (with the exception of the Spring Hero cabbage) have been useless. I think we should give the whole plot a rest from brassicas for two or three years. Next year we will get more soft fruit and rhubarb. Angie’s flowers have been a great idea. The whole plot looks pretty good.
5th August. The idea is to make sure we get the best of what we’ve done this year plus new ideas, new trials, plus correcting weaknesses.
More raspberries, not enough have survived and grown enough to give us the crop we want – probably the most important decision.
Potatoes, Maris Peer are peerless so far.
Over-wintering onions and garlics are already ordered, and christmas new potatoes already planted. Winter salad and radishes already ready to go, just need to clear and refill the hotbeds in the greenhouse. Some of the stuff can be sown outdoors.
Now what are we going to get from www.realseeds.co.uk? Could be any or all of these
– Thai long Green aubergine, very early, lime green
– Los Algarros, v large black, vigorous aubergine
– ‘Cherokee Trail of tears’ pole beans
– ‘Cupidon’ green bush bean
– White beetroot
– Sanguina red beetroot
– ‘Full white celery’
– ‘Giant Red’ Dark Orange Carrot
– Early Green Jalapeno Chilli
– Lemon Drop Chilli
– Trieste White Courgette
– Parisian Pickling Gherkin
– ‘Striato d’Napoli green striped courgtte
– ‘Miniature White’ Cucumber
– ‘jaune de Poitou’ leek
– ‘Bleu de Solaise’ Blue leek
– ‘Flame’ Cherry Red lettuce
– ‘Sicily Giant’ radish
– ‘Long Scarlet’ radish
– ‘Ashworth’ Sweetcorn
– ‘Yankee Bell’ Green pepper
– ‘Sweet Chocolate’ pepper
– ‘Lipstick’ sweet conical red pepper
– ‘Latah’ super early salad type
– Grushovka Pink
– ‘De Colgar’ storage tomato
– ‘Blue banana’ squash
Don’t they sound wonderful, and going on this year’s performance they will be magic.
Then there’s the french beans, the potatoes, main crop garlic and shallots to order, plus Crystal Apple/ Lemon cucumbers.
Get Shallots later