Us,all of us, v. AMD – video
This is a terrifying example of what can happen; Watch our (Macular Society) new video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfGlf_jlWeI.
I was appalled and I mean absolutely appalled, by this lady`s experiences, after just five years, though you can get to the severe state in just two years.
Personally I have survived for eight years so far and I an still playing tennis even though I have total loss of central vision.
Based on my personal experiences
What can we do if or when it happens, the call to action;
- Immediately start training your peripheral vision to take over as your dominant vision
- Immediately start taking Lutein, 40 mg per day,
- Be angry, very angry, that it`s happened to you
- Channel that anger into helping you devise ways of checking that the road is clear, ways of doing things, of finding new activities, of creating new friendships,
- Join a support group because they`ve all been through it
- Keep active, go for walks (somewhere it`s green), get some good walking shoes, (much to my wife,,s horror I wore climbing boots every day everywhere for two years!)
- Get better lighting at home and work and use bright colours
- Think hard about how you can get the best from your smartphone
- Think hard about everything you do to make it as successful as you can
- And your support group will give you help with other things like kitchen gadgets and cooking
You can rebuild your self-reliance, resilience and self-confidence.
What can we do to stop it happening? There are no guarantees:
- Take Lutein with Ziaxanthin supplement, 10 mg (upto 40 mg) per day from the moment you watch the video. (Not medically proven but I would sincerely recommend it. The video appalled me so do whatcever you can)
- Naturally take a balanced diet, rich in kale, spinach etc
- Wear sunglasses, particularly if you are blue eyed
- Similarly wear a cap or other protection
- Keep fighting fit because you will need to actively fight it and also keep your brain fit to fight it
- Make sure you are up-to-date with smartphones Android or iphone